Abiraterone manufacturers

Home AnCan Forums Prostate Cancer Abiraterone manufacturers

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Highanxiety
      Participant

I have been reading alot about generic drug manufacturers, especially drugs manufactured in India. I know all must go through FDA approval, but I read that issues are not always addressed timely. I know the formulation for the generics should be the same as the brand drug, but that different “fillers” can be used by the manufacturer. So,the manufacturing may not be the same as those in the brand. I am most concerned about the manufacturers for abiraterone.
      If the pharmacy distributes this drug through different manufacturers, one month the drug one picks up could be manufactured by Glenmark, another time it could be AMNEAL, the next time Apotrex, etc!!
      Should I just believe that “all drugs are created equally”? I hope I hear from folks about thoughts on this.

Rick Davis

This one is a bit beyond my paygrade, @highanxiety, but I hope our Brains Trust will respond on the issue of QC for generic drugs.
      O&U

Len Sierra

In case you have not already seen this, here is a link to the FDA website with lots of information on generic drug equivalency. Sometimes pharmacies will carry more than one generic drug manufacturer for a specific drug, so you can always ask for a different manufacturer if you’re not happy with the one they are giving you. That has worked for me in the past. I have instructed them that I don’t want any generic drugs from company XYZ and they will honor that.
      https://www.fda.gov/drugs/frequently-asked-questions-popular-topics/generic-drugs-questions-answers#:~:text=Any%20generic%20medicine%20must%20perform,(with%20certain%20limited%20exceptions).

Highanxiety
      Participant

Rick and Len,
      I apologize for the delay in responding. I appreciate the information provided. Rick, I will be listening to the recordings of the meetings where this topic was discussed. Those were provided to me via email. Len, thank you for the links you provided. It will take us awhile to navigate through this but it will be worthwhile if we find the information we are looking for.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.